Tobias A. Fox, Founder and Managing Director
Tobias Fox is the Founder and Managing Director of the community-driven, 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization Newark Science and Sustainability, Inc. Aside from being a writer and having ten years of independent publishing experience, Fox is a Professional Organizer, Urban Farmer, Photographer, and Coordinator of an annual Sustainable Living Empowerment Conference. He conducts various community events, presentations, and workshops on sustainable living practices and has assisted numerous urban farmers and gardeners with the cultivation of their agricultural space. Fox has earned many accolades for his work, including:
- In part of Newark’s 350th anniversary, selected by peers for outstanding contributions to the Newark community to be part of the 100 People of Newark. This Newark Project, a series of 100 photographs and on-camera interviews with Newarkers, was produced by the 100 People Foundation in partnership with PSE&G Foundation.
- In 2016, Community Service Award presented by the Northeast Earth Coalition.
- In 2014, awarded the Newark NAACP Environmental Justice Honoree.
- In 2013, presented in TEDxBroadStreet, an independently organized TED event fueled by the theme “Reach, Rise, and Revive,” that took place at the Rutgers Business School in Newark, NJ. TEDxBroadStreet is Newark, NJ’s first citywide TEDx event developed in collaboration with Newark residents.
- In 2012, awarded an Exemplary Service Recognition by the Greater Newark Conservancy for Community Organizing.
A Newark, New Jersey native, Dr. Jacqueleen Bido earned her Doctorate from Seton Hall University in Educational Leadership, Management, and Policy. She is the founder of Elevate Newark and BIDOISM Inc., which are consulting companies created to empower and help people, their organizations, and the communities they serve to invoke social change. As the Chief Strategy Officer of Newark Science and Sustainability, Inc., she continues to expand her mission through business consultation, program development, grant writing, and the creation of the Garden of Hope in Newark, New Jersey. Bido is also proud to have served her country in Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom in the United States Navy. She is mother to five beautiful children, who have been her greatest achievement because their mere existence proves the importance of the work she does to make the world a better place for them and all to live in.
Emily G. Lavallee, Community Collaborator
Emily G. Lavallee is a community organizer, project manager, and urban grower. She has experience collecting, analyzing, and managing data at the nonprofit and classroom level, as well as coordinating programming alongside Newark Science and Sustainability, Inc. and other local urban farming initiatives.
Newark SAS Advisory Board
Be the change you’d like to see in the world and become a Newark SAS Advisory Board member. As a Board member, you are actively involved in the decision-making process and contribute to the growth and development of the organization.
Rachel Emas, Ph.D.
Assistant Teaching Professor and MPA Program Director, School of Public Affairs and Administration (SPAA), Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey-Newark
S. Aisha Steplight Johnson, Ph.D.
Director of Student Development & Career Services, Essex County College
Project Manager, Community Development Group
Director of Community and Civic Engagement, The Pingry School
Christine Morales, LCSW
Assistant Director of Admissions and Recruitment, School of Social Work, Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey
Click to view a copy of our annual returns: