Community Outreach and Organizer Intern (Local Candidates Only)
Newark Science and Sustainability, Inc. (Newark SAS) was selected as a host site for one of the 8 Student Conservation Association (SCA) NJ Sustainability interns. The SCA NJ Sustainability Internship Program is sponsored by PSE&G.
July 5, 2016 to October 7, 2016
Newark Science and Sustainability, Inc. (Newark, NJ)
Main Area of Focus
Education, Training & Skills Expected
*Earth Sciences: some coursework or experience
*Recreation Management: some coursework or experience
*Resource Management: some coursework or experience
*Customer Service: some experience
*Social Media: some experience
*Community Engagement: some experience
In collaboration with SCA, Newark SAS is accepting applications for a part-time intern to serve as a Community Outreach and Organizer.
Community Outreach and Organizer (Part-Time Paid Internship)
Our internship program allows college students to gain a real world experience in the nonprofit sector and gain hands-on experience in a wide-range of fields. This is also an opportunity to strengthening existing skills while accumulating new ones. Participants are sure to expand their social network and establish relationships with professionals.
Community Outreach and Organizer Responsibilities:
- Participate in program planning along with researching and collecting data for grants.
- Assist with the prepping and planning of two community gardens.
- Be flexible and a self-starter, comfortable with minimum direction.
- Assist with the planning and implementation of age relevant educational, hands-on programs and activities around topics of wellness & nutrition education, urban gardening, eco-art, climate resiliency, and clean renewable energy (solar, wind, pedal bike, battery packs).
- Assist with the organizing of small to large groups around issues related to urban agriculture, climate resiliency, healthcare, and the use of clean, renewable energy.
- Assist with the use of documentary-style filmmaking and social media to share stories around wellness & nutrition education, urban gardening, climate resiliency, healthcare, and the use of clean, renewable energy.
- Initiate and maintain respectful and mutually supportive relationships with residents, elected officials, local business owners, and other community stakeholders.
Flexible work schedule. However, intern must commit to at least 20 hours per week.
$200 weekly living stipend and $30 weekly commuting allowance
Email resume, expressing your interest to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Community Outreach and Organizer Intern” in the subject.
Utilizing the approach of social entrepreneurship, Newark SAS is a community-driven, 501c3 nonprofit organization based in Newark, NJ that implements various initiatives to increase awareness of environmental issues through educational programs and hands-on training. Our programs include wellness and nutrition education, urban farming/community gardening, eco-art, ecological building, and the exploration and utilization of clean renewable energy. To learn more visit http://www.sasglocal.com/.
SCA mission is to build the next generation of conservation leaders and inspire lifelong stewardship of the environment and communities by engaging young people in hands-on service to the land. To learn more visit http://www.thesca.org/.